Direct Mail Best Practice #6 – Advertising Headlines That Always Work
The Big Promise
A big promise, often in the headline of your direct marketing postcard, is in effect your product’s mission statement. It lets the customer know, clearly and concisely, what they should expect if they make the smart decision to purchase your product or service.
- “Your friends will be begging you for the recipe when you use our chicken stock.”
- “Your new roof will hold up against all elements – whatever the weather.”
- “The whitest laundry on the street, and in just one wash!”
Modern consumers expect you to use a little artistic license, so you are free to project the idea of a perfect world where your product has solved a big hole in the customer’s life – perhaps a hole that they didn’t even realize existed until your marketing hit their letterbox.
A Promising Start
What makes for a good promise? Think about the problem that your product or service solves for your customer. It could be something simple like mounting dirty dishes, or more complex like debt issues or feelings of inadequacy. With your promise, you are offering the customer a glimpse of what their life could be like if they purchase your product. Offer the customer the solution to his problem through the promise of your product:
- Dirty dishes banished forever – in a jiffy!
- Get rid of credit card debts with just one phone call!
- Always under the weather? Kick start your immune system with X12 Formula!
To accurately portray the promise of your product to your customer, you must carefully assess your company, your products, your competition and your customers. The killer feature of your product or the reason people choose your company is often very different from your own perception.
- Get feedback from your current customers on why they purchased your products.
- Keep abreast of the competition to zero in on your unique selling proposition.
- Remember that different groups of customers may respond to different promises.
- Ensure you can see through on your promises!
Big promises are a great way to have your reader visualizing themselves using your product. We’ve developed many such promises for successful businesses in the past; feel free to contact us with any questions or queries on our marketing services.
Now that you’ve settled back into the saddle for the 2015 ride, give us a call! We can help you with so many things…Marketing Idea, Messaging Techniques, Offers, Headlines, Customer Targeting, Printing, Postcards and so much more. Heck…we just enjoy the conversation about marketing! Call us at 866-319-7109 or email us at email@example.com.